Delivery safety during Covid-19: What the last year has taught us.
This time last year, we were all quarantined in our homes, so delivery became a huge part of our lives. We were having everything delivered. And then when it got to our homes, we were cleaning up boxes and any items we received. We have become so used to deliveries now that an Alarm.com survey showed that as of today, the average person is still receiving 10 home deliveries a month which is a huge increase from the average 6 pre-pandemic.
Here are some more interesting facts from Alarm.com on deliveries over the last year:
- We came out to support our favorite local businesses who were suffering from the shutdown. 53% of Americans ordered a delivery to support a local business in the last year.
- We felt safer ordering home deliveries to the tune of 48% of people had deliveries to their home.
- 44% say that deliveries are more convenient.
- We also found shortages in some of the everyday items we needed like cleaners and toilet paper. 36% ordered online-only because items were sold out in stores.
- 70% also learned to appreciate delivery workers more than they used to after we saw what they had to do to get items to us.
When it comes to safety, we are still very concerned. The pandemic taught us that people not only are increasingly stealing packages, but we are certainly concerned that they might be posing as delivery folks to get access to our homes.
- Here in the United States, 68% of us say we won’t open our door unless we’re certain we know who’s there.
- 35% wait until we get a notification that an item has been delivered and the driver is gone before we open the door.
- 31% of us are still worried that potential burglars are posing as delivery drivers to case our home for a future break in.
- 41% of us say we don’t trust that visitors who show up at our doors are always who they say they are.
Want to manage your deliveries better and safer?
As we look at these statistics, our concerns for safety have never changed. As a matter of fact, we have become more aware. Why not consider a Touchless Video Doorbell to go with your Alcom Security System? You can be anywhere and still know who is at your door and when deliveries have been made. Our app makes it easy to manage and communicate with your visitors from the convenience of your home or if you are back in the office.